Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Memory of My Friend Adele

So I lost a good friend on Monday. My friend Adele lost her life after a freak car accident. She was one of my best friends in high school--we were wild & crazy on so many occasions. I had lost contact w/her throughout the college years, but reconnected about a year ago & just talked to her this weekend. She recently became engaged to her very long-term boyfriend & was so excited about planning her wedding (on the beach). Several people have commented that she was happier in the last month of her life than she has been in a long time, so I'm glad to know she lived life to the fullest while she was still with us on earth.

I remember Adele's infectious laugh, our rebellious band behavior ("I can see clearly now that Byron's gone") & her teaching me how to play modified "beer pong" (with dixie cups & "hard liquor"! lol!). I went on several mini-vacations w/her, shopped until we dropped, and had chick flick nights frequently. Adele got me to do so many things I never would have tried to do on my own, but made me a better person for trying it & stepping out of my comfort zone. She had confidence and a bold personality that you certainly could not forget.

Her death is the 3rd of people I know from high school that happened in the past 18 months. My friend since kindergarten, Jeremiah Eisenhower, died last January from a car accident & another elementary school friend Josh Pennington died in a motorcycle accident last month. Josh's fiancé, Kristin Skowood--whom I went to school with since pre-first grade, was hurt in that same accident and has a long road to recovery. That's the thing about growing up in a small community & going to a small school--you know everyone & have relationships & memories with everyone there. I am ready for a break from people I know getting hurt or killed in car accidents. So please remember to always wear your seatbelt & drive safely. My friends died because of other driver's careless driving, so you always have to think of the other drivers out there.

I was just thinking of how she survived a sledding accident in 2003 where she broke her jaw & had to have brain surgery to remove a blood clot.  She was such a fighter.  So strong.

Just hard to believe that Adele's actually gone. I have been trying to distract myself with laundry & busy work, but I just can get her off of my mind. She will be missed so much!! Keeping her family, friends & fiancé Jayson in your prayers if you can.

R.I.P. Adele Elaine Bitler 09/10/83-08/16/10

Here's a scanned picture of me (left) & Adele (right) from 2001 she sent. We did those "old time photos" at the beach during our week down at Ocean City, MD. Not the best pic, but the memories from that trip I'll keep with me forever!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really know her that well after high school. I am glad that she was happy and glad that she had the chance at blinding love. I am so sorry for her family as I am sure she will be missed. My prayers go out to family and loved ones. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    I know that I am the last person on the face of this earth that you want to hear from because of the horrible things I have said to you. I am truly sorry for those words. I know that my apology is very late and that you probably will never forgive me but I just wanted to let you know that I am sincerely sorry for your loss. Adele and I had AP Bio together. We never really talked but she was a great person. I will keep her family and loved ones in my prayers. I know what you are going through with the pain that you feel. I just went through it in Juen when I lost Josh, Kristin's mom and step-dad. It's a horrible feeling and it's so surreal. I thank God everyday that Kristin's life was spared and that I still have her in my life. I am glad to see that you have pictures and tons of memories of Adele. I know that you will carry her in your heart forever.
    Take care,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails